Saturday, May 13, 2017

Falling in Love with Watercolor Wings - Part II

Hi Friends,

Here is the second half of my project to go along with the card I posted on Thursday.  A birthday gift needs beautiful packaging to match the beautiful card, right?  This is what I made to go along with my Watercolor Wings birthday card:



I love making these boxes.  Making a square box is simple!  Decide what size you need for your box - mine was 3-1/2" square.  I wanted the sides to be 1-1/2" tall, so I cut my Very Vanilla cardstock into a 6-1/2" square (3-1/2" + 1-1/2"+1-1/2").  Before you score, trim just a smidge (about 1/16" inch) off of two adjoining sides.  This makes the bottom of the box just ever so slightly smaller than the lid, for a good fit.  Score all 4 sides at 1-1/2" and make a single cut on each corner to make the flap to fold inside. Secure each flap to the inside of the box using Fast Fuse or Tear & Tape Adhesive.  These are the best adhesives for any sort of 3-D project like this.  



For the box lid, I like to make the sides shorter so you can see both the bottom and the lid when the box is assembled.  For this box I made the sides of the lid 1" tall, so my Sweet Sugarplum cardstock was cut at 5-1/2" square (3-1/2" + 1" + 1").  Score all 4 sides at 1" and trim the flaps the same as the box bottom.   Decorate the lid before you assemble it!  I used some leftover strips of Falling in Love Designer Series Paper to match my birthday card. 


 On the top of the lid, I adhered a lace doily.  On top of that I added a small Very Vanilla banner stamped with "Just for you" in Sweet Sugarplum and flagged on both ends using the Triple Banner Punch.  I added a Sweet Sugarplum enamel heart shape to the banner.  The butterfly is from the Watercolor Wings stamp set, stamped with Sweet Sugarplum, Blushing Bride & Sahara Sand inks. I added the gold sequin trim last.


My box and card were tucked inside this matching gift bag.  I took a plain bag from the craft supply store and decorated it to match the box, with the addition of 2 extra butterflies cut with the Bold Butterfly Framelits using some Sweet Sugarplum Glimmer Paper left over from Sale-a-Bration.

There it is!  Quick and easy, and sure to be appreciated by anyone receiving it.

Product List
Creative blessings,
Pat





No comments:

Post a Comment